I LOVE scones! Especially these ones.
You don't have to bake all at once either - freeze and save for another day when you want one fresh from the oven.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Pastry Blender (or two knives)
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper
IN THE KITCHEN
- Flour 4 1/2 cups +
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Baking Powder 2 tablespoons
- Sugar 2 tablespoons
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Active Dry Yeast 1/4 teaspoon
- Butter 1 cup (2 sticks) cold, cut into small pieces
- Heavy Cream 2 1/4 cups
- Blueberries (or any other berry!) 2 cups frozen
- Egg 1 yolk
- Sanding Sugar/Turbinado Cane Sugar
1. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt.
2. Cut butter into small cubes and cut into the flour mixer with a pastry blender (or two knives) until the size of breadcrumbs with some larger pieces.
3. Fold in frozen berries.
4. Dig a well in the center of your dough and slowly pour in the cream. Using your hands, bring everything together so there’s no loose dough. You may need to add more cream, tablespoon at a time.
5. Form into rounds (can use a biscuit cutter) or form the dough into a rectangle and cut into wedges.
6. Put on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours before baking. You can also freeze these for couple weeks!
7. Preheat oven to 375. Whisk egg yolk and 1/4 cup of heavy cream to brush over the scones then sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes, rotating halfway through.